g/Te I also invite a Twitter Chat on Vaccines and Back to School today 8/5 from 12:00 to 1:00 pm PDT uses the hasthag #KPsalud
- A week or two before school starts, help your child return to his or her sleep routine. Each night, have him go to bed a little earlier and wake him up earlier each morning.
- Help your child overcome his or her fears of returning to school, preparing and supporting him or her emotionally. Stresses the importance of education; reunite with friends and possibly make more friends; schedule a school visit to help your child become familiar with a new school.
- When buying back-to-school school supplies, pay special attention to your child's backpack. Backpacks that don't fit properly can cause pain in your back, shoulders, or neck. Choose a backpack with wide shoulder straps, padded in the shoulder area and with the back also padded. The backpack should never weigh more than 10% to 20% of your child's body weight.
- Strengthen security on return to school. If your child walks or cycles to school, remind him or her that before crossing the street, look both ways; crossing only at the places designated to pedestrians; and make sure you're using the necessary security equipment. Teach your child never to stop and talk to strangers or get in a stranger's car.
- Remember that a healthy, well-balanced diet provides nutrients and vitamins that children need to be healthy, more alert and full of energy. By encouraging healthy eating habits from an early age, you can make a big impact on your child's health for life.