Calabacitas with pork and corn (pork and zucchini) is a traditional Mexican recipe so tasty and easy to make, that you will love it. It´s basically Mexican zucchini and pork
This recipe is also in Spanish: Calabacitas con puerco y elote
As part of my family traditions, I like to offer my children different dishes with the flavor of my beloved Mexico. I would like them to get to know the family dishes and their palates to get used to trying freshly made food at my kitchen.
I hope this way they avoid frozen or restaurant food and also tell the difference between Tex-Mex and Mexican food.
Calabacitas with pork and corn is one of the recipes that my mother has prepared in Monterrey since I was a kid. We all like it, served with Mexican rice and warm corn tortillas.
Ingredients to make calabacitas with pork
- Pork stew meat. You can use any kind of pork meat in small pieces.
- Calabacitas. It’s a Mexican squash similar to zucchini. These are rounded, the color is green with white and the flavor is a little bit sweeter than zucchini.
- Tomatoes. I prefer to use Roma tomatoes but you can also use heirloom tomatoes.
- Onion. White onion is best for this recipe.
- Corn Kernels (granos de elote). The best corn kennels for this recipe would be white corn kennels but here in the United States, it’s hard to find so you can use either canned corn kernels or even frozen.
- Fresh ilantro. We will use several branches of cilantro.
- Garlic salt powder or minced garlic are good for this recipe.
Calabacitas with Pork Mexican recipe (Pork and zucchini Mexican recipe)
1 kg or 2 lbs of pork stew meat
5 small green zucchini, diced
1 can of drained corn kernels
1 sprig of fresh cilantro
1/2 cup of water
Blend the tomatoes, onion, and cilantro with the water. Separate
Season the pork with garlic salt and pepper.
Heat a little oil in a pan and seal the pork stew meat.
Add half a cup of water over medium heat, cover, and cook until softened.
When the pork meat is tender and the water evaporates, fry the pork just until brown.
Add the mix from the blender, add calabacitas and corn.
Let it boil until calabacitas are tender.
Calabacitas with pork and corn can be served warm with rice and tortillas. Provecho!
Check out more recipes:
Calabacitas with Pork mexican recipe (Calabacitas con puerco y elote)
- 2 lbs pork stew meat diced
- 5 pc calabacitas or zucchini
- 2 pc roma tomatoes
- 1 can kernel corn
- 1 cilantro
- 1 tsp garlic salt powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Blend the tomatoes, onion, cilantro with the water. Separate
- Season the pork with garlic salt and pepper.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and seal the pork stew meat.
- Add half a cup of water over medium heat, cover and cook until softened.
- When the pork meat is tender and the water evaporate, fry the pork just until brown
- Add the mix from the blender, add calabacitas and corn kernels.
- Simmer until calabacitas are tender.
- Calabacitas with pork and corn can be served warm with rice and tortillas.
Leave a Reply