Grease’s characters are so loved that we can always see people dressed like them in festivals or Halloween. I will show you how to make a poodle skirt like the one Sandy and other characters wore in this movie.
My daughter had a 50’s themed festival at school, so she wanted to be dressed like Sandy, so we made this easy circular skirt, I hope you like it.
This kind of circular skirt is known as a poodle skirt or 50’s cheerleader skirt, it was very cheap and easy to make.
We made the skirt at the last minute, a day before the festival. Materials are easy to find.
Get the thinnest felt fabric so the skirt takes a good shape.
You can make the poodle skirt two ways:
- Using a sewing machine. (First photo)
- No sewing needed. (Last photo)
Using felt save you time, because you don’t have to make a hem. Felt won’t shine like other fabrics, but it is good for a quick costume.
HOW TO MAKE A POODLE SKIRT
3 meters Felt fabric
Doggy patch (or black felt fabric using my free template )
Elastic 4 cm wide
One meter of cord (thread)
chalk or marker
Sewing machine (or hand sewing)
1. First, take the measurement of the length of the skirt and around the waist.
2. You can make a pattern on paper, but we will make it straight to the fabric, using the chalk to mark.
Fold the fabric into four parts, so you don’t waste time cutting.
Divide the waist (cintura) measures into four to form the waistband of the skirt. On the upper left, mark a quarter of the waist, do the same on the left side.
Tie the cord to a pencil to use it as a compass and hold the end of the cord in the corner where the fold meets and with the end of the pencil slide from one side of the waist to the other.
Mark the length of the skirt at the two ends, starting from where the previous measurement ends. Do the same with the lace and pencil, join the ends of the length of the skirt. Cut the length of the skirt and the waist.
3. Sew the skirt lengthwise.
4. Let’s place the elastic. Cut the elastic strap using the waist measures. Join the ends and sew them. You will have a circle, which we will stick with pins to the skirt, and then sew it with zig-zag stitches.
5. If you got the puppy patch, you can stick it with a silicone gun or hot glue, as with the ribbon that forms the puppy strap.
If you didn’t get patch print this template of the poodle puppy and cut it over black felt. You can add any other decorations like beads on the dog collar or in the leash, etc.
Sandy’s grease Skirt Costume (no sew)
3 meters Felt
Doggy patch (or black felt)
1-meter thick black ribbon, 4 cm wide
One meter of cord (thread)
Follow steps 1 and 2 of the previous procedure.
Extend the skirt and hot glue the thick ribbon outside the waistband of the skirt, start at the front, leaving room at the end so we can tie behind.
Glue the skirt length with hot glue.
Get back to step 5 to add the puppy and the leash, using your patch or you can print the free poodle template and cut it over the black felt.
And you’re done!
Check out Nacho Libre costume