Know the meaning of rosca de Reyes in Mexico and talk it to your children, it is a good and very rich Mexican tradition that we should not miss!
Back and more answer of the Christmas and New Year festivities; I now share with them the meaning of the Rosca de Reyes in Mexico.
On this day in some places of the country children will receive gifts. In my case Santa always arrived, but we never stopped going through this day without eating thread with family, friends and neighbors.
In my house, my mitote mom every year prepared chocolate and invited the neighbors to eat a piece of thread without obligation; if you got the monkey or doll it was just the emotion of the moment, but no one was forced to prepare tamales, as tradition dictates.
Know the meaning of the Rosca de Reyes in Mexico
- The Thread of Kings represents a crown and the love of God, which has neither beginning nor end.
- Nuts symbolize the crown jewels of the Wise Men, meaning peace, love and happiness.
- Eating the bread of the Rosca is related to communion with Jesus.
- The little doll of the Rosca, represents the baby Jesus, when he was hidden by Mary and Joseph, to save him from the slaughter of the Innocents, ordered by King Herod.
- If your piece of Rosca shows the doll, you become the Godfather of the baby Jesus and tradition says that you must offer a feast with tamales on February 2nd, Day of the Candelaria!
The most typical is to accompany the king's thread with champurrado, atole or hot chocolate. Chopeada in coffee is also delicious.
And well if you got your doll, don't make yourself! Prepare the tamales for the Candelaria Day party!
Now there are threads for different tastes, this one from the photo, for example, is filled with box, but you can also find thread sent, thread filled with nutella, traditional thread, etc.