How to make pickled red onion from scratch to accompany your dishes. This recipe gives a special touch to certain dishes such as tacos, cakes, sopes, pupusas, etc.
You can see the Spanish version here: Cebolla encurtida
When we prepare certain dishes, it is not enough to add sauce and lemon, it is always richer if we add some vegetable or “ornament” as my grandmother used to say and one of the favorites of many is the pickled onion or tanned onion.
The pickled onion is very easy to prepare and you can use either white onion or purple, I have tried both and it is not much different.
tips to make red pickled onions
- You can prepare red pickled onions either for a special dish or store it in a glass container in the fridge and have it on hand for when you want to serve with a Mexican dish.
- Use white onions instead, they almost taste the same.
- Some people like sweet pickled onions, if that’s you, just add some sugar or honey to this recipe. The best vinegar for pickling is distilled white vinegar.
- This is a quick recipe from scratch to enjoy in minutes.
- If you prefer thicker onions, you will need to let them marinate more time.
- If you like spicy, you can add habanero pepper in thin slices; but in this case, I did it without not-spicy for the children.
- The red pickled onion can also be prepared with lemon juice, white vinegar, or a mixture of both, which is how I prepared it.
- If you like garlic flavor, you can add some garlic slices to the pickling marinade.
- You can also add pepper or your preferred herbs (I only add oregano).
HOW TO MAKE PICKLED RED ONION
Cut the red onion into thin slices.
Heat the water in a pot, when it starts to boil, turn off the heat and add the onion.
Mix and let stand for five minutes to soften the onion a little.
Remove the onion from the water, drain and place it in a separate container.
Add lemon, vinegar, oregano; salt, and pepper to taste.
We let marinate the onion for an hour.
After this time, the pickled red onion is ready, Enjoy!
Check out these recipes: